Support CardiffFrequently Asked Questions

Any questions?

The University is a registered charity (no. 1136855), and our fundraising is accredited by the Institute of Fundraising and the Fundraising Standards Board. Any gift you make, along with gift aid or company matched giving, is used specifically for the cause you nominate; none of the money raised is spent on administrative costs.

The Development Office at Cardiff University has channelled over £10m of gifts since 2006 to the causes above, and over 2,000 donors from 33 different countries have supported us.

Here are some questions which we have been asked which might help you:

Want to know more? If your question isn't answered here, or you would like to talk to a fundraiser personally, please call us on +44 (0)29 2087 6473. 

Give as you Earn (GAYE) in the UK

Payroll giving is a way to give regular gifts every month directly from your salary. The money is deducted before tax is calculated so each pound you give will only cost you 80p, and for higher rate tax payers it is only 60p. You can set this up by asking your payroll or human resources department for a payroll giving form, and sending this to us.

Gift Aid

Gift Aid is tax relief on money donated to UK charities. All you have to do is tick a box.

HM Revenue and Customs treat donations as if the donor had already deducted basic rate tax from them. The charity can then reclaim this tax to increase the value of a donation.

Gift Aid rules

Donors must:

  • Pay enough UK income tax and/or capital gains tax themselves to cover the amount of tax the charity will reclaim
  • Give the charity a Gift Aid declaration, which should include:
    • their name
    • their home address
    • the charity's name
    • details of the donation, saying that it is a gift aid donation
    • confirmation that they have paid UK tax, to cover the tax the charity will reclaim

A declaration can be made to cover individual donations,a series of donations, can cover donations made during a specified period or to cover all future donations. They can also be backdated for up to 6 years prior to the date of the declaration provided the donation was made since 6 April 2000.

Tax Relief

If a donor pays:

  • Basic rate of tax, they cannot claim further tax relief on the payments
  • Higher rate of tax, they can claim higher rate relief on the payments by entering the donations in the gift aid box on their self assessment tax return. Donors who receive a form P810 can declare their gift aid payments on it.

How do I know if I'm a UK tax payer?

You are a UK tax payer if:

  • Tax is taken from your wages or salary before you receive your pay
  • You have to fill in a self-assessment form each year
  • You have any taxable savings (in a Building Society, for instance), or a pension plan, or investment income.
  • If you have recently paid any capital gains tax, or expect to pay it in the near future. This could be on the sale of a property or some shares, for example

If I tick the Gift Aid box, does that commit me to giving money?

Absolutely not. It just means that if you do give any amount to Cardiff University, we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 you donate back from the Inland Revenue.

Who will have access to this information about me?

Only Cardiff University and the Inland Revenue. We will not share it with anyone else.

Is it really that easy? What's the catch?

There's no catch. You just tick the Gift Aid box. Then if you choose to give to Cardiff University in the future we will be able to claim more money from the Inland Revenue, without costing you a penny extra. Learn more from the HM Revenue and Customs Office website.

Fund opportunities

Arrow  Donate online